I look around every Halloween and am amazed at the effort everyone puts into their costumes, but one thing that’s always bothered me is the lack of terrifying food – and I’m not talking about vegetables HAHA!
So, I smashed some pastry around my Peperami Original, gave them some peepers and made some right scary Meaty Mummies – delicious with ketchup or mustard, they pack a porky punch for any trick or treaters.
4 x 22.5g Original Peperami
60g ready rolled shortcrust pastry, cut into 1cm thick strips
½ beaten egg
4 pea size pieces white fondant icing
4 rice grain pieces black fondant icing
3 tbsp mild mustard
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, fan 180C, gas mark 6.
2. Wrap the pastry around the Peperami then brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
3. Place on a tray in the oven for 12 minutes until golden brown and hot through.
4. Roll the white icing into 8 oval balls.
5. Roll the black icing into 8 tiny balls and gently press onto the middle of the white balls.
6. Brush the back of the “eye” with a tiny bit of egg and stick onto the Peperami.
7. Mix the mustard and tomato ketchup together and serve as a dip.